Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Last chapter

Difficult to see, but there is a mantid in the photo, head down, laying a cluster of eggs, which is the white glob.  
This is the finished egg case which is now brown.  I wondered if the elongated shape indicated that we had disturbed her while she was laying eggs.  But I have since noted at least three others which are the same shape.
Here is the more typical egg case.  Many of these will be destroyed when the meadow is mowed in early spring, but we have no shortage of mantids, so I see no need to worry.  Anyone who is so inclined may help themselves to an egg case, take it home, but I would keep it outside, and not in my apartment.
And another last chapter for this year, a swallow nest removed from the box.
This is the fruit of the Korean dogwood, or Cornus kousa.  Someone said these are edible, but I haven't tried them, have you?
Can you see the fruit of the Cornus florida?

Here you can see the fruit of the dogwood and next year's buds.  So this is not a last chapter, but so-long for now.  Which I will also say, as I am going on vacation next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment