Thursday, August 29, 2013

Late August

This is how my day started.  A resident called and said she had something to show me, and her housekeeper said she had to get rid of it before she went in the apartment.  This is a four-horned sphinx moth caterpillar.  Impressive caterpillar, but the moth is blah.
Before I could get out for lunch I had another visitor, this time with an American dagger moth caterpillar, which will turn into a brown moth.
Sad looking birds that are molting at this time.
Another sad looking cardinal.
But the Boltonia meadow is beautiful.  This is looking over the wetland at the meadow.
The Boltonia is so tall that is obscures the path.
This snout butterfly made 21 species that I have seen in August.
This very interesting photo was taken in my yard.  The male cabbage white landed several times on the dead female.  From his angle I doubt that he can see the white spider, and probably can't figure out why the female is so unresponsive.  He very soon flew off and left the spider to only a one butterfly meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment